Saturday, June 22, 2013

How I deal with moving.

When it was time to make the six hour trip to my college campus, the minivan was loaded up, my older sister was in the driver's seat, my mom next to her in the passenger seat, and me: I was in the very back, crying and begging to stay home.

The entire way there.

Not the greatest start to four years of undergrad, but certainly a memorable one.

Fast forward ten years. This time the car will be a hybrid (like a good Californian. Ha!). And this time I'll be the one driving (so I probably shouldn't cause a scene). And this time the drive will be quite a bit longer (coast-to-coast, oh man!).

In anticipation of this super long drive, let's talk about something that's Really Important:

What will be on my roadtrip playlist??

This has actually been on my mind the moment that it was decided I'd be making the drive cross country with my friend Nicole.

For instance,

  • What song will be playing as I pull away from home?
  • What song will be playing as we finally cross the California border?
  • What song will get us through one time zone and into the next?

The songs matter. I am adamant about this. Because whatever song is playing will forever remind me of that specific moment (if you think I'm being kind of dramatic here, I already know). It's like when I hear Salt-N-Pepa's Shoop, I think of standing on the skinny dirt path outside the front gate of my elementary school. Or when I hear OutKast's So Fresh, So Clean, I think of sitting on the blacktop with my friend during 10th grade P.E. (sidenote: why weren't we running around or something?)

So yeah, the songs matter. And I need to be extra careful about these selections, otherwise the theme song of this roadtrip will end up being Come and Get It, which is awful (sorry, Selena Gomez), but whenever I hear just a clip of it on the radio, it manages to ingrain itself into my brain. ...Seriously, I cannot let that happen.

And so instead of packing or sorting through the unorganized mess on my floor, I instead imagine potential lineups for this Very Important Roadtrip Playlist. It should probably be full of strong females wanting to empower me with their catchy hooks. The contenders:

  • Brave by Sara Bareillas: Just look at the title. It makes sense to use this song. There I'll be, driving off to an unknown city full of strangers, my first time living outside my home state (okay, not a completely unknown city. But you get my point, right?)
  • Miss Independent by Kelly Clarkson: Similar reasoning to the above. Plus, it's Kelly Clarkson!
  • Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys: This is the song to play as I drive off into the sunset. Or drive off during the sunrise. I haven't decided yet.
  • some song by Pink: I don't know many Pink songs, but she is all about standing up for yourself and girl power -- according to my former co-worker (who is Pink's #1 fan)

Add in Spice Girls and No Doubt. Done. 







P.S. You may start submitting your song recommendations. Please defend your choice in 30 words or less :)


No comments:

Post a Comment